Disclosure: Advertisements are placed on this website to offset the cost of maintenance and to keep this site free for everyone to use. Owners of this website will receive compensation for products and services purchased through featured advertisements.
Downside Of Online College Degrees
We know how important it is for employers to find post-high school academic credentials in our resumes. Those who have college education and training are more likely to land secure jobs. Understanding the importance of college education, there are some who would try to earn a degree by going back to traditional colleges or earning them through online college degree programs.
If you would search the internet, there are different testimonies on how online learning could cater to the needs and limitations of different students, whether they are single parents, working or with disabilities. Online education also tends to be more affordable than regular or traditional college. Its flexibility and lower cost are definitely among the primary reasons why there are about 3.9 million online students as early as 2007 according to the Sloan Consortium.
There are two sides of a coin, everything has it benefits and downside. One side could outweigh the other but knowing both sides would help a person come up with a guided decision. The same thing applies to online college degrees. Although there are many benefits, online college education is not for everybody. There are things that should be considered and there are also limitations.
• Time management is important for students who are studying online. Since they would be able to complete their assignments and school work on the time convenient for them, there are tendencies that students would procrastinate. Students must be able to juggle family, work and studying into their schedule.
• Self-discipline is important. Although students could work or set the schedule according to their free time, this could also work against them. Lack of self-discipline or self-motivation to do the assignments or lectures could lead to failure.
• Since online education requires familiarization and usage of technology, it is important that students would be able to navigate in software and programs frequently used by the educator or the course. While there are students who have limited access to internet connection or even use of a decent computer.
• If you do have a working computer and internet connection, you may encounter connection problems. This can cause to delays with getting your lessons done.
• Most of the courses online are self-learned. Readings and lectures are read by the students on their own time. There are no classroom lectures. However, there are some online programs that would require students and teachers meet during orientation or examinations.
• There are also some students who would get the motivation from classmates and teachers. However, with online education, there are no or limited face-to-face sessions, making human interaction less. Eventually, you would have to work on your own. For some lack of interaction with classmates could lead to poor participation while it may prove beneficial for others. Different from traditional colleges, online students would not be able to expand their horizons by joining different organizations, student unions, clubs, etc.
• Another limitation is that most online college degrees require students to be adept with the English language. Foreign students may encounter difficulties, but rest assured, internet and site developers would surely be able to address this in the near future.
Online Degree Articles
Understanding Online College Education And Degrees
School's Never Over: Studying for an Online College Degree
Online College Degrees Catch Up with Industry Changes
Exposing Online College Degree Myths
Learn More about Online College Degrees
Online College Degrees Get More Popular
What To Remember When Scouting For Online College Education And Degrees
Who could Take Online College Degrees?
Continuing Education: Getting an Online College Degree
Protecting Yourself Against Online College Degree Rip-Offs
Secrets On Not Dropping Out Of Your Online College Degree
Usual Requirements for Online College Degrees
Disadvantages of Online College Degrees
Grading Up: Improving Your Life With An Online College Degree
Paying Your Way Through Your Online College Degree
College On The Internet: The World of Online College Degrees
Avoid Diploma Mills when Pursuing Online College Degrees
Downside Of Online College Degrees
Popular Online College Degrees
Pump Up Your CV: The Benefits of an Online College Degree
Applying For An Online College Degree
Advantages of Online College Degrees
Pros and Cons of Online College Degrees
Common Online College Degrees Offered